Clifton, Arizona here I come!!

Clifton, Arizona here I come!!

Monday, March 21, 2011

The Craziest 3 Days of My Mission

So. I'm going to let you know right off the bat, Ever since Friday, I have probably had the craziest 3 days of my mission. It has been absolutely loco. I will share a list of events, then I will talk about them.
-We had an emergency ZLC in Wilcox
-We had to teach an impromptu Sunday school lesson
-I rope swung and about broke my leg
-I have been sicker than a dog
-We had to take An Elder to the ER
-And we had a surprise baptism
-(this is just like half of the things that happened)
 
-So, the emergency ZLC in Wilcox. That was a lot of fun actually. Normally ZLC's are set up months in advance, but as of this time, it needed to happen NOW. It was set up in like 2 days and we had to all meet up in the central location. Right now, the mission is extremely young. Over 75% of our missionaries are under 6 months old. So a lot of the old leadership has left leaving the younger leadership to step up and take charge. It makes things quite difficult in getting things done. Everything needs to be explained quite thoroughly and a lot of these District Leaders are brand new. So keeping things going the way it needs to be done has been taken to a whole new level. Missionaries as young as 3 months old are district leaders (sound familiar haha) and training new missionaries. Its crazy. But it keeps us on our toes. Trying to keep up with all these young bucks keeps me going strong. haha. I'm a dang geezer compared to some of these missionaries. hahah.
-Because of Spring Break, everyone decided to leave. SO...That meant that alot of teachers of Sunday school decided to leave as well. Unfortunately, last week Elder Thorpe signed us up to substitute teach Sunday school (which I totally forgot about) knowing he wouldn't be here...that meant, once Sunday school time rolled around, who was expected to teach, yup, the missionaries. It went really well though. What better impromptu lesson to do than to do one on baptism! It turned out good. We had a good number of students show up and were able to just have fun with it. I have noticed my confidence level of standing in front of people and talking had immensely improved. I think i need to take that public speaking class at UNLV again so I can pass it with flying colors! haha
-This was just a stupid accident that probably shouldn't have happened, but it did. So there is a trailer park here that we work in a lot and there is two rope swings back to back and I decided it would be fun to try it a different way. Not a good idea. I took the rope swing at a bad angle and ended up going through a very large bush/tree thing and then got my leg tangled in a ladder. Ya, not the best situation. It hurt rather bad actually. Just thought you should know.
-I have been sicker than a dang dog. I'm not sure how sick dogs can get, but I have been sicker than they could possibly be. I had some sort of like flu/cold/chest infection/i-don't-really-know-itis. It sucked. My chest hurt, my head hurt, my throat hurt, my nose hurt, all sinus hurt, my pinkie toe hurt, my everything hurt. It was horrible. I was told that I sounded like a donkey at one point of my sickness. And then my feelings were hurt!
-Having to take an Elder to the emergency room was actually a lot of fun. He was doing "extreme running" and he shredded his finger on a gate. He ended up having to get 6 stitches. He cut open the first knuckle of his ring finger on his right hand, palm side. So right where it bends, if that makes any sense. Well if it doesn't then it doesn't matter, just know that the doctor said as she was stitching it up that 1. it looks like hamburger meat all tangled together, and 2. its going to be a gnarly scar! I'm jealous actually. I want to do something to get another sweet scar! I guess i have already broken my hand ...but no scar yet...hmmmmm. But im sure his mom will be happy about getting an email from him this week! haha good times.
-And last but not least, the event that makes all of this worth it. Friday morning, the day that began the madness. The day before, Daleray was telling us how he didn't want to be baptized until after spring break but then probably not be baptized at all. I was really nervous for him and for all the crap that he had been going through with his friends and just all sorts of drama. So i was concerned. BUT, Friday morning we had just gotten done with our morning racket ball when he texts us and tell us he wants to meet right now. so we drop off the other elders and go meet him at the institute. We walked up to him and the first words out of his mouth were "i want to be baptized, can we do it tomorrow???" I of course told him yes and we talked a little bit about what happened and why he made this decision. Right there he called his grandma and told her he was going to be baptized. This is what he wanted and he knew it. He told me something that really touched my heart. I wrote him a note on a card and gave it to him to think about while he was going through the drama and he said that it helped him get through it and make the decision. I am so grateful for my heavenly father to guide me by his spirit and give me the things to say and do. I told him on this note "Don't let the words and actions of others change who you are or what you believe, we love you bro." That simple yet directed by the spirit. Helped him decide to be baptized. What makes the story more crazy. That day at 9 we had our ZLC in Wilcox. While we are there, he calls us and decides he wants the baptism for today (Friday) but it had to be before 3...oh boy. So here i was, in Wilcox, an hour and a half away, trying to plan a baptism that i just found out about that morning. Oh boy it was hectic. BUT, we did it. With the help of some other missionaries, my companion, and ward members, we did it. Daleray got baptized on Friday, March 18th 2011, at 2 o'clock. I am so happy for him. He has been through so much and has worked so hard and he finally made the decision. He bore his testimony at his baptism and it was so special. So sincere. I love that kid and I am so proud of him.
I am so happy for the chance I have to be a missionary. So grateful to serve my Heavenly Father in this way. I love him so much. I love my savior, Jesus Christ. I Love you all so much.
Elder Pierce

No comments:

Post a Comment